When people ask what I do and I answer ‘I’m a wedding photographer’, the next question is usually ‘why do you like photographing weddings?’ I must admit I didn’t have a very good answer… I would usually blurt something out along the lines of, ‘they are fun, and pretty…!’ Weddings are my absolute favourite favourite thing in the whole world to photograph, which is why it was an easy decision to specialise. But I hadn’t really considered why I love weddings so much until recently.
I think these are my top 6:
1. Weddings are hugely important occasion. I’m documenting a piece of family history! Someday, your children’s, children’s CHILDREN will be looking at your wedding album to get a glimpse of where they came from, and what their great great great grandparents were like!
2. The variety in a single day! When I’m photographing a wedding, I am a photo-journalist, a food photographer, a family photographer, a people and fashion photographer… all in one day! This can obviously have it’s challenges, but I love it.
3. Weddings are full of so many amazing moments and some will probably completely escape you on the day. I love capturing these, often fleeting, moments you may have missed, but can look back on in photographs.
4. There is beauty as far as the eye can see. Hair and makeup has been flawlessly applied, you are wearing a once-in-a-lifetime amazing dress, you are truly shining your brightest around the people who matter the most to you in the world.
5. It’s a big party and everyone is in a wonderful mood. What a privilege!
6. It’s an emotional day. You are declaring sacred promises to each other in front of your family and friends! People you love make heartfelt speeches, they celebrate, dance, laugh and cry with you!
Wedding ‘season’ is about to begin for me, so I’ve been in a reflective mood lately. I can’t wait for all the loveliness to begin! Have you ever considered why you love to do what you do? Maybe you’re still figuring it out? Leave a comment, I’d love to hear from you. xx